УДК 621.039.7 • Issue 4 (32) / 2020 • 15-22 pages
Based on the current trends in the scientific and technical solution development that ensures the long-term safety of geological disposal of high-level radioactive waste, including spent nuclear fuel, the article presents the existing in Ukraine problems that need to be considered when constructing a geological repository. The development and implementation of the programs and strategies for the spent fuel and HLW management with a planning period up to 100 – 150 years should be intensified. The geological repository construction programs must be based on the results of the HLW register development and conceptual solutions for the geological disposal. The programs and strategies must meet the requirements for openness and public discussion in the scientific community. The time came to determine by law which nuclear fuel cycle is consistent with the economic and environmental goals, and capabilities of Ukraine: the open (without spent nuclear fuel reprocessing) or the closed. Considering the changes in the legislation, it is necessary to determine the expected radwaste amounts and the type of waste to be disposed in the geological repository. For example, the volume of waste from the processing of the spent fuel from VVER-1000 reactors at the Krasnoyarsk Mining and Chemical Plant (Russian Federation) and the time-schedule of its arrival for disposal are virtually undetermined. The assessment of the spent nuclear fuel volumes from new NPPs and the time period during which they will be formed should consider different strategies of the energy complex development in Ukraine. It is noted that the exclusion of the issues related to spent fuel disposal from the Concept of the new National Program of Radwaste Management does not comply with the international legal obligations of Ukraine in the field of the European integration on nuclear safety issues.
Key words: geological repository, spent nuclear fuel, high-level waste, legislation of Ukraine.
- International Atomic Energy Agency., Technical Report No.413 (2003) IAEA, Vienna.
- National Academy of Sciences, Board on Radioactive Wastes Management, Disposition of High level Waste and Spent Nuclear Fuel. The Continuing Societal and Technical Challenges, (2001) National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
- Strategic Briefing on the Progress on High-level Waste Disposal in NEA Member Countries, 18 April 2019
- Law of Ukraine “On Radioactive Waste Management” №255.
- Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Laws of Ukraine on Improving Legislation in the Sphere of Radioactive Waste Management” №208 Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/208-20
- Law of Ukraine “On Ratification of the Joint Convention on the Safety of Nuclear Fuel Management and the Safety of Radioactive Waste Management”. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1688-14
- Law of Ukraine “On the Procedure for Making Decisions on the Location, Design, Construction of Nuclear Installations and Facilities Intended for the Management of Radioactive Waste of National Importance” №2861. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2861-15
- Law of Ukraine “On Approval of the National Targeted Environmental Program for Radioactive Waste Management” №516. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/516-17
- Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of June 5, 2019 № 385-r “On approval of the Concept of the State Economic Program for the management of spent nuclear fuel of domestic nuclear power plants for the period up to 2024” Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua / laws / show / 385-2019-% D1% 80
- Council Directive 2011/70 / EURATOM of 19 July 2011 establishing a Community framework for the responsible and safe management of spent fuel and radioactive waste. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/984_004-11
- Site Selection procedure for Repository Sites. Recommendations of the AkEnd (2002). Committee on a Site Selection procedure for Repository Sites. Koln, 248 p.
- Law of Ukraine “On State Target Programs” №1621. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1621-15
- “The order of development and implementation of state target programs” was approved by the resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of 31.01.2007 №106. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/106-2007-%D0%BF
- V.M. Shestopalov, Y.O. Shibetsky (2017). Yaderna ta radiatsiyna bezpeka.. V 2(74). pp. 38 – 45.